Preview: A Dal Final in Hungary
The second of four songs that we’ll have added to the Eurovision roster this Saturday will come from Hungary, as the successful A Dal system culminates its third year. Will the show that gave us Compact Disco and ByeAlex give us the country’s fourth consecutive qualifier?
It’s been a long road for the A Dal contestants; through a series of three heats and two semifinals, thirty original qualifiers have been winnowed and cut down to eight, with six in English and two in Hungarian. And the contenders are:
- Bogi – “We All“
- Depresszió – “Csak a zene (Only the Music)”
- Fool Moon – “It Can’t Be Over“
- HoneyBeast – “A legnagyobb hős (The Biggest Hero)”
- Kállay-Saunders – “Running“
- Viktor Király – “Running Out of Time“
- New Level Empire – “The Last One“
- Dénes Pál – “Brave New World“
We’ve seen previous A Dal attempts from Bogi (in 2013), Kállay-Saunders (in 2012 and 2013), Viktor Király (2012), and Dénes Pál (2013), but Depresszió, HoneyBeast, and New Level Empire all seem to be newcomers to the process. Gergő Rácz of Fool Moon represented Hungary at Eurovision 1997 as part of V.I.P. and took part in A Dal 2013, but the rest of the band appear to be rookies. So will the win go to a seasoned soloist or a band?